We are becoming more and more conscious of how important it is to protect the planet and implement actions such as recycling, reusing objects, using public transportation, among others.
Likewise, many hotels are wondering how they can become sustainable hotel.
Studies show that most guests prefer to pay a little more to stay in a hotel that supports the conservation of the environment, that is to say, a sustainable hotel.
Because traveling is a great opportunity to strengthen sustainable habits.
In today’s post we will tell you what a sustainable or eco-friendly hotel is and how you can take the step to sustainability with your hotel’s business model.
What is a sustainable hotel?
A sustainable hotel is one that tries to reduce as much as possible the consumption of natural resources, energy, and emissions.
It also recycles waste in such a way that its environmental impact is as low as possible.
Sustainable hotels are generally designed with respect for the environment and the surroundings in which they are located.
Most of the time they are built with natural and local materials.
They also have efficient lighting systems, and low-pressure water installations and can even generate their own energy.
On the other hand, a sustainable hotel also makes use of technology to systematize processes that were previously manual, for example, customer management.
A sustainable or eco-friendly hotel contributes to the local economy because it consumes local products and services.
This has a positive influence on society.
What does a sustainable hotel need to be sustainable?
For a hotel to be considered sustainable it must meet one of the following requirements:
- That its design and construction has certain environmental, social and cultural principles.
- Respect the natural environment, i.e., do not pollute, respect the culture of the area and the environment.
- Support local businesses.
- Promote organic, seasonal and locally produced food.
- That most of the energy supply comes from renewable energies.
- Low consumption lighting.
- To have water conservation systems.
- Use organic materials, for example, in sheets and towels.
- Comply with bioclimatic construction standards, which seek to reduce heating and air conditioning consumption as much as possible.
A Sustainable Hotel is committed to environmentally friendly management
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) defines “Sustainable Tourism” as a new way of traveling that has favorable repercussions on current and future actions.
It is worth mentioning that the United Nations General Assembly has designated 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
A sustainable hotel makes its existence have as little impact on the world as possible.
In this way, we will live in a better place and it will be something that will last for future generations.
If you want to learn more about technology solutions to make your hotel sustainable, please contact us at
The future is now!